Are you ready to go on a journey that will shape your future and the futures of young minds? SANTS Private Higher Education Institution is your gateway to becoming an extraordinary teacher who thrives in diverse and challenging educational landscapes. With a vision to provide quality practice-driven distance teacher education and development and a mission to deliver quality teacher education programmes (SANTS, 2023, p. 4), SANTS is the teacher training institution where your dreams as a future teacher can truly flourish.
Let us dream together by imagining this: You, as a student-teacher or future teacher, have the opportunity to adopt the following roles (or skills) of a teacher (KimathiI & Rusznyak, 2018, p. 8), which are important for all teachers worldwide.
- Instructor: As a teacher, you should be able to deliver educational content to learners, facilitating understanding and knowledge acquisition in various subjects.
- Facilitator: As a teacher, you should be able to guide learners through the learning process, encouraging critical thinking, problem-solving, and independent learning. You should be able to create an environment where learners actively engage with the material.
- Mentor: As a teacher, you should be able to serve as a mentor, providing guidance and support to learners academically, personally, and emotionally.
- Curriculum Designer: As a teacher, you should be able to design and develop lesson plans, curricula, and learning activities that align with educational goals and standards. You should be able to tailor instruction to meet the diverse needs of your learners.
- Assessor and Evaluator: As a teacher, you should be able to assess learners’ progress through assignments, tests, and other evaluations. You should be able to provide feedback on strengths and areas needing improvement and use this information to adapt your teaching strategies.
- Role Model: As a teacher, you should be able to serve as a role model for your learners, showing qualities such as respect, integrity, empathy, and a passion for learning. You should be able to influence learners beyond the classroom, shaping their character and values.
- Classroom Manager: As a teacher, you should be able to establish and maintain a well-organized and respectful classroom environment.
However, it does not stop there! SANTS envisions you as a dynamic change agent who confronts challenges head-on, bringing positive transformation to even the most marginalized and rural educational settings.
As you set off on this teaching adventure, remember that your success as a teacher is a testament to your commitment and dedication. Let your love for education be the turbo boost propelling your impact forward – because at SANTS, you are not just stepping; you are leaping toward your teaching dreams, painting South Africa with shades of progress and change.
Soon enough, you will not just snag a diploma or degree but strut with a superhero cape of purpose and skills that scream, “Hire me; I am versatile and influential!” So, all teachers-in-training, give those challenges a bear hug and transform into the very revolution our learning landscape craves. Your SANTS journey is shaping you and crafting the future of education.
Dare to dream, strive to succeed, and light up the learning path.
Kimathi, F. & Rusznyak, L. (2018). Advancing professional teaching in South Africa: lessons learnt from policy frameworks that have regulated teachers’ work. Education as Change, 22(3), pp. 1-25.
Student Orientation Booklet. (2023). SANTS Private Higher Education Institution. In-house publication.
𝗔𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿: 𝗝𝗖 𝗥𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗺𝗲𝘆𝗲𝗿
𝗟𝗲𝗰𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝗿: 𝗕𝗘𝗱 𝗙𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗣𝗵𝗮𝘀𝗲